I am currently going to school to pursue the art of digital film. Although I create videos for fun as a little side hobby, I’d enjoy doing this for a profession one day. As I am on my way to hopefully follow my dreams I have to take a class called, Media Production I. I do enjoy this class greatly, even though everything that we have covered so far, I’ve already known.
Currently, we had to join a couple of members in our class to form a small group in order to help each other out as we film. Each film must have four sequences, with each sequence consisting of four shots, which must all be “simple shots” like; medium, close-up, and establishing shots, just to name a few.
As we assembled into our groups we had to storyboard, create a shot list which lists all shots we need in the correct order, and then we got to do the fun part and film. Most of our storylines started off in the parking and somehow ended up into the build by the Coffee 'n More Shop, so we could film faster. While filming, however, my group may have been a little over prepared. Being the over-achiever I am, I went ahead and brought walkie talkies for the parking lot scenes that we need to drive for, as well as a reflective neon vest. So a person could stand in a particular parking spot for our character to park the vehicle into. I didn’t want to risk someone getting hurt as a random car may floor it into a parking spot that was relatively close to the buildings… and also I liked how cool and professionally dorky we looked…
After about three hours, or one and a half class periods we finally finished our little short films. To be honest none of the projects had a true storyline in them because of the thirty second to a one-minute time frame, but they still turned out fairly well. I loved looking cool shooting on these big Panasonic cameras and seeing people walk way out of the camera’s view because they don’t want to be in the footage even when we were not even filming.
All in all, I think that I will continue to enjoy this class. I’m very excited to know what our next filming project will be. It’s fun to work with other students who share a passion for filmmaking! Here is a link to my current project. Just to let you know, I also had to film and act in it. I was kind of like Tyler Perry, as I performed in my own work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma-4w0gGLk4 (Keep in mind we didn't have to focus on audio yet. This project was simply created to get the class familiar with the cameras, storyboarding, shot listings, and overall production process. So it's far from perfect.)
If you’d like to know more about me and my process to becoming a filmmaker than please feel free to follow my blog posts!

No comments:
Post a Comment