Filming alone has many perks, however, I personally believe it has more negative factors. As I have been addicted to attempting to create my own “short films.” I know the struggles of trying to create projects all by myself. A majority of today’s independent creators are all on YouTube. Although, I don’t think that is a bad thing, I think there might be an issue that might arise from the creators of that medium. If they don’t start collaborating I think they will most likely not succeed at all.
Now before I get into my own theory of YouTube I think it will work best for your interest if I tell my experiences first. The struggle is real when you’re by yourself. You are the director, writer, talent. You have to storyboard, script, organize everything on your own, set up the mics, lighting, and props… The list goes on. As I attempted to make my own videos, I do feel limited in my resources, especially with being on such a tight budget. From my friends to family members, they were the ones who had to be my talent. When they couldn’t be in the video, I had to step in. With being alone and on YouTube you’re limited from growing your abilities, trying new things, and getting feedback. Although, you can be your own boss, be more independent, and maybe you can potentially learn better being self-taught, but when you hit a roadblock it could be difficult to go around.
Collaborating can give you endless abilities. As I explore college and film more in depth, it gives me the opportunity to get to know others with similar interests. Soon I’ll be able to create better quality films, have more developed storylines, and fewer flaws. Sure you have to direct everyone onto one theme and you may have to persuade others why your opinion matters more, but working together and creating people skills is a great thing to have. Which I think if most YouTubers, which are potentially the future filmmakers if done right, collaborating right away and learning how to express themselves, as well as, learning how to receive and use constructive criticism, then they can do great things.
If you’ve ever seen the show “The Chair,” it takes a YouTube filmmaker/ star and your average film student who went to college and puts them through a test of who could create a more successful full-length movie, on a short budget. Within the season-long show of this documentary, it was hard for the YouTuber to let go some of his old responsibilities, as someone else wrote the script or someone else took control of wardrobe, lighting, storyboarding, and what not. He was so use to doing it all on his own, that he had to put a lot of trust in his new crew, which really put him to the test.
Although, I’m far from becoming a great filmmaker I do believe that I’m on the right path. From learning the basics on my own and YouTube, to going to school and learning how to collaborate and learning more elaborate techniques, I think one day I could make a decent living as a filmmaker.
No comments:
Post a Comment